Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pop Quiz

Why, for the first time since June, am I suddenly able to function at work at a level near what I'm accustomed to?

A. It's been 10 weeks since coming back from maternity leave and that is how long it takes for a woman to think about something other than her baby for longer than 30 seconds at a time

B. The little known phenomenon of 'estrogen switch' that turns off mommy-brain at exactly 23 weeks postpartum

C. Christmas and New Year's vacation

D. Jack is sleeping

I'm gunna go with D. Jack is sleeping. Last night he woke up at 11pm and 4am.

I'm human again. My brain FUNCTIONS. I'm knee deep in data analysis today and loving it. There are no words to describe the difference. I feel NORMAL. I feel like a proficient scientist for the first time in months. And although I am looking forward to holding Jack in my arms later tonight, I actually want to be here, where I am: in this seat, in my basement-level office with no windows, staring at a computer and tapping my nails as I wait for the results of my last round of data fitting to pop up on the screen*.

*We make no anti-dork guarantees on this website

Wow, I've discovered yet another version of myself: Motivated-Rachael. I really missed this one. Who's next -- Wife-, Friend-, Creative-Rachael?

Your guess is as good as mine, because I'd better get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment